Monday, October 1, 2012

Kayaking

It's now been two months in Tustin...eight weeks. So far I have
1.) hiked Peter's Canyon
2.) swum at the Wollett Aquatics Center
3.) had lunch with my Dad
4.) visited Quinn's Old Town Grill for Happy Hour
5.) taken yoga classes at Purple Yoga (not a fan)
6.) visited my friends The Limburg Family
7.) hiked Peter's Canyon...again (repeat adventuring...moderate cheating)


I can't believe I cheated at my own challenge! While repeat activities were not expressedly breaking the rules of Tustin Adventuring, I feel in the interest of posterity that repeats should be avoided. That said, I'm pretty proud of myself for completing last week's NEW adventure, rounding out my second month as a resident of Orange County. I went kayaking in Newport's Back Bay Estuary.



I woke up early on a Wednesday and got to the Newport Aquatic Center (NAC) before many people were out on the water. The NAC is pretty awesome - they have a little gym inside and you can rent single and double person kayaks as well as standup paddle boards by the hour for pretty cheap. They have monthly memberships that appear to be a pretty good deal as well.

There are paths carved out in the tall reeds of the estuary where one can explore either the wildlife, or tootle around the adjacent marina. I chose the wildlife path this time. It was pretty righteous out there in the cool morning. By the time I returned my kayak, groups of fellow adventurers were drinking coffee and getting ready for their morning sessions on the water.

Newport Aquatic Center
1 Whitecliffs Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

$14 per hour single person kayak rental

Approximately 10 miles away

No comments:

Post a Comment