Friday, March 1, 2013

Muth Interpretive Center

There's plenty to be smug about in February in Southern California. Enough facebook comments and blog posts are dedicated to the Wow-Look-At-Us-We're-Wearing-Sandals-in-February topic, so instead I'll just say it was delightful weather to visit the Muth Interpretive Center in Newport Beach last week.

I took a long walk around the trails on the hillside near the center, even venturing down the bluffs where I have to admit, I got a little uncomfortable. Literally no one was around. Not a soul. Just me and the storks and the quiet splashes from the estuary. I don't know why I got a little freaked out, but I trusted my primitive cavegirl instincts and high-tailed back up to the walking paths.

Maybe it is not incorrect to characterize hiking around Upper Newport Bay as a primal experience. One does get a sense of what the area might look like without all the buildings and development. I stopped and read all the available signage about the usage, construction, and preservation of the estuary, dating back to tribal settlements of Native Americans.

The actual center is very cute and informative. Not much too it, but it is a nice place to stop in, drink some water, use the restroom, and read a little more about the estuary.

Here are some photos from my visit!

Upper Newport Bay Estuary


Bug's eye view


Inside the Muth Interpretive Center

The lonely estuary




Watch out, gopher!

Learning about the estuary

All in all, worth the trip out to Newport. I only wish I had brought my bike to explore the walking paths a little more. Maybe next visit!

Muth Interpretive Center
Upper Newport Bay

2301 University Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Approximately 10 miles away

Free!


No comments:

Post a Comment