Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Benjies Delicatessen

(photo credit: eatingmywaythroughoc.blogspot.com)

I've probably driven past Benjies thousands of times in my life. Think about that. What registers in your psyche to pass by someone or something THOUSANDS of times in your life. I've either driven or been in the car passing by it on a regular basis since I was born, and until last week, had never been inside. Boy, what I have been missing!

I stopped in on a rainy afternoon and ordered a 7 & 7 in the attached bar, The Bamboo Lounge. Benjies advertises happy hour from 3pm till closing, which makes one wonder when exactly is it not happy hour in Benjies? I washed my cocktail down with a pastrami sandwich and side of macaroni salad. It was all delicious. Typically, Langers on Alvarado / 7th in LA is my go-to joint for all my pastrami sandwich needs, but Benjies was still pretty darn great. And given that it's almost a stone's throw away from my work, I can see myself exploring more happy hour drink and menu options in the near future.

Bonus points for the Bamboo Lounge decor and people watching.

Benjies Delicatessen
1828 N Tustin Ave
Santa Ana, CA 92705

www.benjiesdeli.com

~$17 for a cocktail, pastrami sandwich, and matzo ball soup
Approximately 1 mile away

No comments:

Post a Comment